Monday, January 19, 2015

Jacob Have I Loved


In 1980, Katherine Paterson wrote a beautiful coming of age novel about the older, less celebrated twin, Sara Louise, and her struggle to find identity and value.  She lives in a time and place that does not privilege her unique gifts and interests which causes bitterness and envy of her beautiful, sweet and talented younger twin.  Sara Louise navigates her youth with neither charm nor grace but with feelings of resentment and envy overwhelming her at every turn.  I won't give away the ending . . . but my 11 year old daughter and I both read this book and it lead to engaging conversations about injustice, sibling rivalry and being comfortable in who you are.  I would recommend this book as a middle years literature resource.  It's not the newest book on the block but it stands the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment