Monday, March 9, 2015

The Umbrella



I selected The Umbrella because I really enjoy Jan Brett’s stories and illustrations and I wanted to learn more about her work and how it can be used in the classroom. This book was inspired by a trip that Jan Brett took to the Monteverde Cloud Forest in Costa Rica. About a year ago my sister and I also travelled to Monteverde and I was captivated by the beauty and splendour of the Cloud Forest. Jan Brett captures this enchanting forest very well with her use of words and amazing illustrations. When I first read this story it transported me right back to the misty mountains and lush green forest of Costa Rica. There are so many different things that you can do with this book. Jan’s website has some wonderful recommendations and there are also lots of other ideas on the Internet. From finger puppets to animal masks for sequencing and re-telling to colouring pages for bulletin boards, there is so much you can do with this book. The Umbrella can also fit into a cross-curricular study because it could branch into Science and the study of the flora and fauna of the rain forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment